Now Playing
My Magic 94.9
Last Song Played
Tampa Bay's Best Music
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
My Magic 94.9
Last Song Played
Tampa Bay's Best Music

world

200 items
Results 11 - 20 of 200 < previous next >

Prince William said Harry has not asked him to be his best man -- yet

Prince Harry’s wedding to Meghan Markle is slightly more than four months away, but the prince has not officially named his best man.

>> Read more trending news

His older brother, Prince William, would be the logical choice, but Harry has kept quiet about it and William is keeping a respectful distance.

Speaking with United Kingdom radio host Roman Kemp on Wednesday, Prince William said his brother “hasn’t asked me yet, just to clear that up. It could be a sensitive subject.”

William, 35 also said he is “still working” through the conundrum of the wedding and the F.A. Cup soccer final, which both take place May 19.

Former British soccer star Rio Ferdinand asked if the wedding meant that William is likely to miss the big game. William, who normally goes to the final, replied that he was “trying to see what I can do” about the situation. People reported.

>> Prince Harry and Meghan Markle engaged: What to know

According to Town & Country, royal weddings don’t typically have a best man, and instead have “supporters” on either side.

The Duke of Cambridge broke with royal protocol and made Harry his best man for his wedding in 2011, The Express reported.

Federal judge temporarily blocks Trump administration's plan to end DACA

A federal judge in California dealt a blow to the Trump administration’s attempt to end Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals – also known as DACA – on Tuesday by temporarily blocking their ability to do so.

In his ruling, Judge William Alsup said DACA must stay in place until litigation over the program is complete. He also said that the Department of Homeland Security’s “decision to rescind DACA was based on a flawed legal premise.”

The judge’s ruling will allow recipients who didn’t renew by last year’s deadline to submit renewal applications, but no new applications will be allowed to be submitted.

>> Read more trending news 

“Dreamers’ lives were thrown into chaos when the Trump administration tried to terminate the DACA program without obeying the law,” said California Attorney General Xavier Becerra, according to The Hill. “Today’s ruling is a huge step in the right direction.”

“America is and has been home to Dreamers who courageously came forward, applied for DACA and did everything the federal government asked of them,” Becerra continued. “They followed DACA’s rules, they succeeded in school, at work and in business, and they have contributed in building a better America. We will fight at every turn for their rights and opportunities so they may continue to contribute to America.”

The Trump administration announced in September that it was ending the program; however, earlier on Tuesday, during a meeting with Republicans and Democrats to discuss immigration issues, Trump appeared willing to negotiate a pathway to citizenship for millions of undocumented immigrants – a move that stunned both Democrats and Republicans.

“My head is spinning with all the things that were said by the president and others in that room in the course of an hour and a half,” Sen. Richard Durbin, D-Ill., said, according to The New York Times.

During the meeting, Trump also appeared to support Democratic Sen. Diane Feinstein’s call for a clean DACA bill, which would push off dealing with issues like border security until later.

In a tweet Tuesday evening, though, he did seem to harden his resolve on the border wall, saying that a southern border wall must be part of any “DACA approval.”

CDC prepares for nuclear attack

The Atlanta-based Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is preparing for the possibility of a nuclear event amid rising tensions between North Korea and the United States.

>> Read more trending news

President Donald Trump took to Twitter last week to mock North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and his recent message in which the dictator said he had a “button for nuclear weapons on my table” and bragged that the “entire area of the U.S. mainland is within our nuclear strike range.”

According to the New York Times, security experts have noted, “There is no reasonable military option for restraining North Korea that would not involve unacceptable loss of life.”

>> Related: KFC mocks Trump's 'nuclear button' tweet in threat to McDonald's

In response to the growing fear around the possibility of a nuclear event this week, the agency scheduled a “Public Health Response to a Nuclear Detonation” briefing for 1-2 p.m. on Tuesday, Jan. 16 with government officials to inform the public about what preparations have been made.

From the scheduled announcement:

“While a nuclear detonation is unlikely, it would have devastating results and there would be limited time to take critical protection steps. Despite the fear surrounding such an event, planning and preparation can lessen deaths and illness. For instance, most people don’t realize that sheltering in place for at least 24 hours is crucial to saving lives and reducing exposure to radiation. While federal, state, and local agencies will lead the immediate response efforts, public health will play a key role in responding.

“Join us for this session of Grand Rounds to learn what public health programs have done on a federal, state, and local level to prepare for a nuclear detonation. Learn how planning and preparation efforts for a nuclear detonation are similar and different from other emergency response planning efforts.”

The expert presentation includes:

- Dan Sosin: deputy director, chief medical officer at the CDC’s Office of Public Health Preparedness and Response

- Capt. Michael Noska: radiation safety officer and senior advisor at U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s Advisory Team for Environment, Food and Health

- Robert Whitcomb: radiation studies chief at CDC’s division of environmental hazards and health effects and the National Center for Environmental Health

- Betsy Kagey: academic and special projects liaison at Georgia Department of Health’s Office of Emergency Preparedness and Response, division of health protection. 

You must have prior security clearance. U.S. citizens can submit a request to the Grand Rounds Team by emailing grandrounds@cdc.gov. Note that a U.S.-issued photo ID is required. Non-U.S. citizens must submit their requests 20 days prior to the session.

Read more information at CDC.gov

Vodka bottle worth $1.3 million found drained but intact at construction site

A vodka bottle worth $1.3 million -- stolen from a bar in Copenhagen last week -- has been recovered, dented and empty of alcohol but otherwise intact, according to multiple reports.

>> Read more trending news

Police announced on Twitter that the bottle, stolen from Cafe 33 in Copenhagen on Jan. 2, was found at a construction site north of the city just days after it was stolen.

"I don't know what happened with the vodka, but the bottle was empty," Copenhagen police spokesman Riad Tooba told AFP.

Created by Latvian car manufacturer Dartz Motorz, the Dartz and Russo-Baltique vodka bottle is made of more than 6 pounds each of gold and silver, according to The New York Times. Its cap is diamond-encrusted and shaped to look like a vintage car front. The bottle is also fitted with a leather strap from Dartz’s first Monte Carlo rally car, made in 1912, according to the Times.

The bottle was on loan to Brian Ingberg, owner of Cafe 33, when it was snatched from a locked area by an intruder who was seen in surveillance video. The man can be seen scanning shelves holding some of the 1,200 bottles Ingberg keeps in his collection, according to Denmark’s TV2, before the thief grabs the vodka bottle and runs.

Ingberg posted an image of the bottle on Facebook last week, calling it “the world’s most expensive vodka,” and asking for help identifying the thief.

Police said it was recovered at a construction site in Charlottenlund, a wealthy suburb of Copenhagen.

"I feel fantastic," Ingberg told Denmark's Ekstra Bladet. "The vodka god saved us."

Japanese kayaker banned for 8 years after spiking rival's drink

A Japanese kayaker was hit with an eight-year ban for spiking the drink of a rival so he would fail a drug test, ESPN reported.

>> Read more trending news

According to the Japan Anti-Doping Agency, Yasuhiro Suzuki spiked the drink of rival Seiji Komatsu with an anabolic steroid at last September’s national championships, causing him to fail a doping test.

The Japan Canoe Federation began investigating after Komatsu tested positive but denied taking drugs. The federation said Komatsu's suspension and records that had been stripped have been restored.

After Komatsu tested positive, Suzuki admitted putting a muscle-building supplement containing the banned steroid methandienone in his drink, ESPN reported. 

It is the first time in Japan that an athlete failed a doping test because of deliberate contamination, JADA said.

Suzuki and Komatsu were considered among the top candidates to represent Japan in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, ESPN reported.

YouTube star Logan Paul apologizes for posting video of apparent dead body

YouTube personality Logan Paul apologized for sharing a video during a visit to Japan’s “suicide forest” that included footage of what appeared to be a dead body, NPR reported.

>> Read more trending news

“Where do I begin,” Paul wrote on his Twitter page late Monday. “Let’s start with this. I’m sorry.”“I didn’t do it for views. I get views,” tweeted Paul, who has more than 15 million YouTube subscribers. “I did it because I thought I could make a positive ripple on the internet, not cause a monsoon of negativity.”

Paul said in his Twitter post that he originally posted the video to raise awareness for suicide and suicide prevention.

The video was filmed in the Aokigahara forest at the edge of Mount Fuji, an area that has been famous for its popularity among people who want to carry out a suicide, NPR reported. In his video, Paul blurred out the face of the person who had died, but he showed other parts of the body as he and his friends stood near it and talked.

“Yo, are you alive?" he says in the video, Fox News reported.

The video was uploaded Sunday and titled “We found a dead body in the Japanese Suicide Forest.” According to New York magazine, it garnered more than 6 million views in less than one day before it was removed by Paul.

The backlash Paul received included a tweet from actress and online video veteran Anna Akana, who lost her sister, Kristina, to suicide 10 years ago.

“You do not walk into a suicide forest with a camera and claim mental health awareness,” she tweeted.

An edited version of the video was later posted to Twitter; it does not include footage of the body. Instead, it shows some of Paul's reactions and comments, NPR reported.

Paul said that he had “demonetized” the video, which had a segment in the parking lot near the forest. In that segment, he told viewers that his laughter and attempts at humor were a coping mechanism after seeing the body.

YouTube star Laci Green was not amused, NPR reported, tweeting that “exploiting a suicide victim in Japan to the tune of 6M+ views while YouTube demonetizes students protesting in Iran is a perfect example of what a sociopathic garbage fire YouTube has become.”

Japan’s suicide rate is one of the highest among developed nations, NPR reported. In the U.S., the rate has been climbing since 2000 — with the biggest increase seen in girls who are 10-14 years old, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said last year.

Supermoon 2018: 12 must-see photos capture New Year's 'wolf moon'

The new year kicked off with a stunning lunar display – the first supermoon of 2018, also known as the "wolf moon."

>> Click here or scroll down to see 12-must see photographs of the phenomenon

>> 2018 supermoons: Wolf moon rises on New Year’s Day

>> Read more trending news 

Archaeologists find 2,700-year-old 'governor of Jerusalem' seal impression

Israeli archaeologists unveiled a 2,700-year-old clay seal impression they believe belonged to a biblical governor of Jerusalem, Reuters reported Monday.

>> Read more trending news

The artifact, inscribed in an ancient Hebrew script as “belonging to the governor of the city,” was likely attached to a shipment or sent as a souvenir on behalf of the governor, according to officials of the Israel Antiquities Authority.

It was discovered near the plaza of Judaism’s Western Wall in the Old City of Jerusalem, Reuters reported.

The impression is the size of a small coin, Reuters reported. It shows two standing men facing each other in a mirror-like manner and wearing striped garments reaching to their knees.

“It supports the biblical rendering of the existence of a governor of the city in Jerusalem 2,700 years ago,” an Antiquities Authority statement quoted excavator Shlomit Weksler-Bdolah as saying.

Governors of Jerusalem, appointed by the king, are mentioned twice in the Bible, Reuters reported: In 2 Kings, which refers to Joshua holding the position; and in 2 Chronicles, which mentions Masseiah in the post during the reign of Josiah.

'The Last Jedi' tops $1 billion worldwide at box office

For the third straight week, “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” was the No. 1 grossing movie at the box office, taking in an estimated $52 million over the weekend to push its worldwide sales past $1 billion, Box Office Mojo reported.

>> Read more trending news

“The Last Jedi,” which opened on Dec. 15, has already passed the domestic box office success of “Beauty and the Beast,” which played in theaters for four months and made more than $517 million in the United States.

Since 2015, the three “Star Wars” films -- “The Force Awakens,” “Rogue One” and “The Last Jedi” -- each have topped $1 billion worldwide at the box office, despite having December release dates.Already, “The Last Jedi” has moved into the top 10 among the highest grossing films of all time in the United States, Mojo Box Office reported.

Kim Jong Un: Nuclear button is always on his desk

While North Korean leader Kim Jong Un delivered a more conciliatory speech during his annual New Year’s Day address, he still warned the United States that the nuclear button is always on his desk, CNN reported.

>> Read more trending news

“The entire mainland of the U.S. is within the range of our nuclear weapons and the nuclear button is always on the desk of my office. They should accurately be aware that this is not a threat but a reality,” Kim said. 

Kim also said that North Korea was “a responsible nuclear nation that loves peace,” adding that “we do not intend to use nuclear powers” unless there is aggression directed toward the country.

Kim called on North Korea to accelerate its production of nuclear warheads and ballistic missiles, CNN reported. However, Kim appeared to extend an olive branch toward South Korea, wishing it success in the upcoming Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang. He said the Olympics would be “a good chance” to show the greatness of the Korean people, CNN reported.

Kim also said North Korea could meet with South Korea “as soon as possible” to discuss the possibility of sending a delegation to the games, CNN reported.

200 items
Results 11 - 20 of 200 < previous next >