One Academy Award trophy sold for nearly $500,000 and the second for well over $200,000 in a rare auction of Oscars that ended Friday in Los Angeles.
A best-picture Oscar for "Gentleman's Agreement," the 1947 film starring Gregory Peck that took on anti-Semitism, sold for $492,000. A best picture statuette for 1935's "Mutiny on the Bounty" fetched $240,000.
Both were outpaced by an archive of papers on the origin and development of "The Wizard of Oz" that brought in $1.2 million.
Auction house Profiles in History announced the results after four days of bidding on Hollywood memorabilia that brought in more than $8 million in total.
Other items sold include a TIE fighter helmet from the original "Star Wars" that went for $240,000, a Phaser pistol from the original "Star Trek" TV series that fetched $192,000, a hover board Marty McFly rode in "Back to the Future II" that sold for $102,000 and a golden ticket from "Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory" that brought in $48,000.
The "Mutiny on the Bounty" Oscar price came close to auction-house projections, but the "Gentleman's Agreement" statuette brought in more than twice what was expected, for reasons that are not clear. The buyers of both Oscars and the Wizard of Oz document chose to remain anonymous.
Auctions of Oscar statuettes are very uncommon because winners from 1951 onward have had to agree that they or their heirs must offer it back to the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences for $1 before selling it elsewhere. The academy has said it firmly believes Oscars should be won, not bought.
Neither of the Oscars sold this week approached the record of $1.5 million paid by Michael Jackson to acquire David O. Selznick's "Gone With the Wind" Oscar in 1999.
The Pennsylvania Supreme Court has rejected a request from Bill Cosby to be released on bail while he appeals his sexual assault conviction.
The order from the court issued Friday does not elaborate on the decision.
Cosby filed an appeal earlier this month saying that Pennsylvania trial Judge Steven O'Neill had a feud with a key pretrial witness, the former county prosecutor who declined to arrest Cosby a decade earlier. And they say his decision to let five other accusers testify among other alleged issues are grounds for a new trial.
A jury convicted the 81-year-old Cosby in April of drugging and molesting a woman in 2004.
The legally blind comedian is housed in a new state prison about 20 miles (32 kilometers) from his Philadelphia-area estate.
CBS on Friday pledged to give $20 million to 18 organizations dedicated to eliminating sexual harassment in the workplace as the network tries to recover from a scandal that led to the ouster of its top executive, Les Moonves.
The announcement comes as the network's crisis deepens, with details emerging from an ongoing investigation into Moonves' conduct and news surfacing of other instances of sexual misconduct at CBS.
In the latest revelation, CBS acknowledged that it reached a $9.5 million confidential settlement last year with actress Eliza Dushku, who said she was written off the show "Bull" in March 2017 after complaining about on-set sexual comments from its star, Michael Weatherly. Some women's rights activists called on CBS to fire Weatherly.
The funds for the grants to the 18 organizations are being deducted from severance owed to Moonves under his contract, and the company had previously said the former CEO would have a say in which groups would receive the money.
But whether Moonves, who was one of the television industry's most powerful executives, receives the remaining $120 million of his severance hinges on the investigation, which is being conducted by two outside law firms. The company has said Moonves would not be entitled to the severance if its board of directors determines he was fired for cause.
CBS said its donation to the 18 groups will go toward helping expand their work and "ties into the company's ongoing commitment to strengthening its own workplace culture."
Among the recipients are Catalyst, a 56-year-old organization dedicated to empowering women in the workplace, and several groups that have emerged as prominent voices since the downfall last year of Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein, which triggered an avalanche of sexual misconduct allegations against powerful men across several industries.
The 18 organizations issued a joint statement praising the donations as a first step while calling on CBS to disclose the results of the Moonves investigation and the company's efforts to rectify practices that may have enabled misconduct.
"We thank CBS for these donations. We also recognize these funds are not a panacea, nor do they erase or absolve decades of bad behavior," the groups said.
Moonves was ousted in September after the New Yorker published allegations from 12 women who said he subjected them to mistreatment that included forced oral sex, groping and retaliation if they resisted. Moonves has denied having any non-consensual sexual relationships.
Two other major figures at CBS have lost their jobs in the past year over misconduct allegations: "60 Minutes" top executive Jeff Fager, and news anchor Charlie Rose.
The New York Women's Foundation said it is receiving $2.25 million from CBS to support its "Fund for the Me Too Movement and Allies," which is co-led by #MeToo founder Tarana Burke. The fund invests in community organizations nationwide dedicated to fighting sexual violence and harassment.
Ana Oliveira, the foundation's president and CEO, said the donation will help give survivors of sexual misconduct a voice in developing solutions. But she urged CBS to do the same within its own organization.
"Those who have lived through the issues have some of the best solutions. This is not a conversation about the perpetrators. CBS needs to do its own work there," Oliveira said.
Other grant recipients include Time's Up, a Hollywood-based group promoting gender equity in the workplace, and Press Forward, an organization of women dedicated to fighting sexual harassment in the news industry.
Time's Up Entertainment said it will use its $500,000 from CBS to launch an initiative to increase the presence of people of color and of different social backgrounds in the entertainment industry's producing and executive ranks.
Carolyn McGourty Supple, co-founder of Press Forward, said the new funding would accelerate her group's programs, which include a partnership with the Poynter Institute to develop innovative sexual-harassment training and a study on the state of women in America's newsrooms.
She said Press Forward has been "very encouraged" by the willingness of CBS News' leadership "to engage with us."
"We have faith that we will work side by side to make sure our newsrooms are places where journalists do their best work," McGourty Supple said.
The entertainment business of CBS, however, is facing new outcry over the revelations about "Bull" star Weatherly, which were first reported by The New York Times.
Shaunna Thomas, executive director of the women's rights organization UltraViolet, said CBS tried to sweep "his abuse under the rug" and "must immediately move to fire Michael Weatherly."
Melissa Silverstein, founder of the "Women and Hollywood" initiative, tweeted that she was "still wondering why" Weatherly has a job.
Neither UltraViolet nor Silverstein's group received funds from CBS.
Weatherly, who appeared on the CBS series "NCIS" for 13 years before "Bull" began in 2016, said in an email to the Times that he had apologized to Dushku after she confronted him. Weatherly's manager, Doug Wald, has not responded to Associated Press requests for additional comment.
In a September interview with the AP , Weatherly said his long history with CBS made it difficult to comment on the Moonves scandal.
"Not to get into any of the ifs, ands or buts about what is right or wrong and where it comes from," Weatherly said then. "Professionally I owe a great part of my career to the decision-making of the higher-ups at the company. It's a complicated place to be."
The legal dust-up between Robin Thicke, Pharrell Williams and the family of the late singer Marvin Gaye is finally over. A judge has ruled Thicke and Williams must pay Gaye’s family nearly $5 million over a copyright infringement lawsuit that claimed the songwriters used Gaye’s 1977 song “Got to Give It Up” in their 2013 song “Blurred Lines,” Billboard reported.
The lawsuit was brought in 2013 and first decided in 2015.
William’s company, More Water From Nazareth Publishing Inc., as well as Thicke and Williams himself, must pay the family $2,848,846.50. In a separate award of profits from the song, Thicke must may an additional $1,768,191.88, while Williams and the publishing company must pay another $357,630.96, CNN reported.
According to Billboard, the total the two singers must pay is $4,983,766.85.
The family was also awarded prejudgment interest on that amount that totals $9,097.51 with interest accruing until the judgment is paid.
It was also found Gaye’s family is also entitled to 50 percent of future profits from “Blurred Lines,” CNN reported.
Charlie Brown, Snoopy and the "Peanuts" crew will have a new home on Apple's streaming service.
Apple has struck a deal with DHX Media to produce new "Peanuts" content. The global children's content and brands company will develop and produce original programs for Apple including new series, specials and shorts based on the beloved characters.
"Peanuts" was created by Charles M. Schulz in 1950.
DHX will produce original short-form STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) content that will be exclusive to Apple, including astronaut Snoopy.
Peanuts Worldwide and NASA recently signed a Space Act Agreement, designed to inspire a passion for space exploration and STEM among the next generation of students.
It was one of the worst kept Hollywood relationship secrets, but now actor Chris Pratt has made it Instagram-official. He is dating Katherine Schwarzenegger, daughter of actor and former governor, Arnold Schwarzenegger and his ex-wife, Maria Shriver.
Pratt, 39, posted photos and a birthday message for Katherine Schwarzenegger. While the couple has been in other family members’ social media posts, this is one of the first Instagram collage posts of his girlfriend made by the Marvel and “Jurassic World” actor, USA Today reported.
He made the post in honor of Schwarzenegger’s 29th birthday.
She runs a lifestyle blog and has written a book, “Rock What You Got,” USA Today reported.
Pratt and his wife of eight years, Anna Faris, separated in 2017, CNN reported. They had a son, Jack.
On Tuesday night, Pratt was photographed with Katherine’s younger brother Patrick at the LA Clippers game, People reported.
Starting Monday, Danielle and Kristy are giving you the chance to win four Florida Orchestra tickets to enjoy TFO: Home Alone in Concert happening Friday, December 21st at Ruth Eckerd Hall! Watch Home Alone on the big screen, while the Florida Orchestra plays the John Williams score!
Listen to Magic Mornings with Danielle and Magic middays with Kristy on Monday for your chance to win!
Call (800) 850-0949
Magic 94.9 along with Malektronic and Metropolitan Ministries would like to ask you to “Gift A Gift of Music” this holiday season. While many donate toys each year for children around the bay, older kids and teenagers often miss out. Well, not this year! They can listen to their favorite artists on the BEST bluetooth speaker, headphones, or earbuds around. Buy a Malektronic speaker for 10% off with code “METRO” and Malektronic will donate another one to Metropolitan Ministries for a kid in Tampa Bay. It’s a holiday win-win! Visit giveagiftofmusic.com!
CBS News is replacing the top executive at "CBS This Morning," which has struggled to maintain its footing since Charlie Rose was fired a year ago on sexual misconduct charges.
The network announced Friday that executive producer Ryan Kadro will be leaving "CBS This Morning" and the network. He's been with the show since its 2012 launch and been running it since his predecessor, Chris Licht, left to take over Stephen Colbert's "Late Show" three years ago
CBS said Kadro's exit had nothing to do with the network's settlement this week of a lawsuit filed by three women concerning Rose's behavior that had faulted management, including Kadro, for not acting to stop him.
No replacement has been named.
Kadro, in a note to his staff, said he had been discussing his future with CBS News President David Rhodes since September. His contract expires at the end of the year.
"Through our discussions, I couldn't shake the feeling in my gut that I need a new challenge, and a serious nap," Kadro wrote. "It's the natural course of things."
"CBS This Morning" had generated significant momentum in the lucrative morning marketplace earlier in the decade with a newsier approach led by the on-air anchor team of Rose, Gayle King and Norah O'Donnell. While it remained third in the ratings to ABC's "Good Morning America" and NBC's "Today" show, its audience grew and it was competitive with its rivals for the first time in a long time.
After Rose's departure, that momentum halted. All of the network morning news shows are losing audience, but none as quickly as CBS. The show has been averaging just under 3.2 million viewers this year, compared to 3.6 million before Rose's exit in November 2017, the Nielsen company said.
Rose was replaced by John Dickerson, the former "Face the Nation" host. In October, Bianna Golodryga was added as a fourth anchor.
CBS had said earlier this week that it had settled its portion of a lawsuit filed by two former "CBS This Morning" employees, Katherine Brooks Harris and Yuqing Wei, and a third woman who worked as Rose's assistant, Sydney McNeal, who had accused Rose of unwanted physical contact. The lawsuit said one of the women had warned Kadro of Rose's behavior but that nothing had been done; CBS said Kadro had a different recollection of the discussion.
CBS News said the settlement was unrelated to the change.
Finding a new leader for its morning show and entrusting that person to turn things around isn't the only management issue Rhodes is facing.
He's mulling a closely-watched decision on leadership at "60 Minutes," television news' most popular and influential program. The show's previous executive producer, Jeff Fager, was let go in September after sending a threatening text to another CBS News reporter who was working on a story about misconduct allegations against Fager.
It's one of the top jobs in television journalism. Bill Owens, a veteran "60 Minutes" executive who is the show's interim leader, and "48 Hours" top executive Susan Zirinsky are thought to be two of the top candidates.
Another important show for the network, the "CBS Evening News," has been hurting in the ratings with Jeff Glor as top anchor.
British officials have released the photos chosen by members of the royal family for their Christmas cards.
Prince William and his wife Kate are shown outside in casual clothes, their three young children in tow. Prince Harry and Meghan chose a black and white motif that shows the newlyweds admiring a fireworks display at their evening wedding reception in May.
For ardent gardener Prince Charles and his wife Camilla, the choice was a photo that showed them gazing lovingly at one another while sitting on a bench surrounded by greenery.
And Queen Elizabeth II? Buckingham Palace officials say there are no plans to release an image of the card used by the queen and her husband, Prince Philip.
Take www.mymagic949.com everywhere you go! Download your app below from the Google Play Store or Apple App Store:
Enable our Skill today to listen live at home on your Alexa Devices!