It’s no secret junk food is bad for your health. In fact, too much of it can increase your risk of several diseases, including cancer, according to a new report.
Researchers from health institutions in France recently conducted a study, published in the PLOS journal, to explore the link between cancer and foods that were labeled by the Nutrient Profiling System of the British Food Standards Agency (FSAm-NPS). The model is a five-tier scoring system, which uses colors and grades, to identify foods low or high in fat, saturated fat, salt or sugar. It has been in place in the United Kingdom since 2017 to help regulate food advertising.
For the assessment, the scientists examined data collected from 471,495 participants from the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition. The participants provided information about their dietary habits and medical history, and they were followed for about 15 years.
After analyzing the results, they found that 49,794 of the subjects had been diagnosed with cancer, with 12,063 having breast cancer, 6,745 having prostate cancer and 5,806 having colorectal cancer.
Upon further investigation, they discovered regular consumption of foods with low nutritional quality was associated with an increased risk of colorectal cancer and cancer of the upper aerodigestive tract and stomach.
Women who ate foods with low nutritional value had a greater risk of being diagnosed with liver and postmenopausal breast cancer, and men who ate poorly had an increase risk of lung cancer.
“In this large multinational European cohort, participants with the highest FSAm-NPS DI scores, i.e., those consuming on average food products with a lower nutritional quality, were at higher risk of developing cancer overall,” the authors wrote in the study.
Despite the results, the analysts did acknowledge their limitations. They said the data the evaluated was self-reported and may not have been fully accurate. However, they noted “this study was the first effort to investigate the association between the FSAm-NPS [Dietary Index] and disease in a large European cohort.”
They now hope their findings will encourage policy makers to implement better policies for food labeling.
“This [study],” they said, “supports the relevance of the FSAm-NPS as [an] underlying nutrient profiling system for front-of-pack nutrition labels, as well as for other public health nutritional measures.”
A jury in Clayton County, Georgia has awarded a boy $30 million for a botched circumcision, and the award could rise even higher as deliberations continue.
The verdict came down in the first phase of deliberations Friday, and the jury is expected to deliberate over whether to grant punitive damages, according to state court officials.
The boy was 18-days-old in October 2013 when the flick of a knife at Riverdale’s Life Cycle Pediatrics severed part of his penis and set into motion a lifetime of issues. The plaintiff’s attorneys said the child, whose name is being withheld, will suffer mental anguish for years because of his deformity. There’s also physical pain from chronic scabbing.
It isn’t yet clear which of the plaintiffs will have to pay and how much.
Defense attorney Terrell W. Benton, who represents the nurse midwife and doctor who’ve been found liable, had told the jury Thursday that $1 million should cover the boy’s medical expenses as well as the the costs of long-term therapy and suffering.
But Neal Pope, representing the child’s mother, Stacie Willis, put a picture of Lebron James up on a projector screen, saying the basketball player made $99 million in three years, while pointing out that life expectancy estimates suggest the boy might live another 69 years.
“I think the case is a $100 million case,” Pope said.
Pope told the jury he’s struggled for decades to explain pain in words — physical and mental pain.
The best he’s come up with is: “Pain is a window into hell.”
The boy’s pain began when his mother brought him to the clinic so nurse midwife Melissa Jones could perform the circumcision.
With an accidental slip, she severed the tip of the child’s penis, Pope said. Dr. Brian Register, who like Jones has been found liable, called the clinic’s owner, Anne Sigouin to alert her. Jones called the boy’s pediatrician, Dr. Abigail Kamishlian of Daffodil Pediatric and Family Medical. Sigouin and Kamishlian both said they weren’t made aware of the full extent of the injury.
No one recommended emergency surgery. Jones and Register left the severed tissue in a refrigerator and sent the mother home with the bleeding boy, Pope said. Had any of the medical professionals sent the child to an emergency room with the severed tissue, Pope said it could’ve been reattached, which might’ve limited the problems.
Jones, Register, Sigouin’s Life Cycle Pediatrics and Life Cycle OB/GYN, Kamishlian and Daffodil Pediatric and Family Medical are all defendants in the suit. Jones and Register are the only ones who have already been found liable, but the plaintiff asked the jury to make all of them pay.
Willis has said she had to insert an instrument into her son’s penis three times a day to prevent it from closing after the circumcision. He had surgeries in Minnesota and Massachusetts, which attorneys on both sides agreed have made it easier for him to urinate and, according to one of the doctors, open the possibility that he could have children one day, though tests must be done around puberty to see if he needs more surgery.
Defense attorney Benton disputed any notion the nurse midwife and doctor at the clinic didn’t take what happened seriously: “What evidence is there they didn’t care about (him)?”
Pope focused on what he said the the boy has endured — and will endure — the rest of his life because of the defendants’ failures: the embarrassment once he gets older and tries to find a partner.
It will take a special person, he said, to accept the boy’s deformity.
A fugitive suspected of threatening President Trump has been arrested by police after a three-month manhunt.
Shawn Christy, 26, was taken into custody Friday afternoon, the U.S. Marshals Service told WPXI.
The federal agency said Christy was arrested in Mifflin Township, near Columbus, by marshals and task force members from Ohio and Pennsylvania.
Pennsylvania warrants issued for Christy allege burglary, probation violation and failure to appear for an aggravated assault case.
In early June, Christy allegedly made threats against Trump, police and a district attorney on Facebook.
In the ensuing weeks and months, law enforcement officials said he led them on a chase through several states.
Authorities said Christy stole a truck Sunday from the area of McAdoo, Pennsylvania, and fled after abandoning it Sunday on Interstate 71 in the Mansfield area, about 65 miles north of Columbus.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
An Indiana man received a 160-year prison sentence after his conviction in August on 10 counts of child molestation that led to the pregnancy of a 10-year-old girl.
At his trial last month, Georgia native Nicholas Deon Thrash, 34, was found guilty of repeatedly molesting the girl beginning when she was 8 when he lived with the child and her mother in Georgia, according to the Marion, Indiana-based Chronicle-Tribune.
Thrash and the girl’s mother fled Georgia for Indiana with the child after the girl reported the abuse when she was 9.
He was eventually arrested and prosecuted for the crime in Indiana.
At his sentencing Thursday, he repeatedly blamed the girl, calling the victim a liar.
The girl, now 12, was forced to give birth at 11 and forced to give the baby up for adoption, Deputy Grant County prosecutor Lisa Glancy told the Chronicle-Tribune.
"He showed no remorse," Glancy said. "Absolutely none."
The girl gave an impact statement during Thrash’s sentencing, saying that the crimes forced upon her caused her pain and have impacted her life in many ways, the newspaper reported.
The girl’s mother is also facing charges in the case, including aiding in child molesting, neglect and assisting a criminal.
Two high school students in Atlanta were arrested this week over their alleged roles in the stabbing of a school bus driver, warrants and DeKalb County School District officials confirmed.
Keniya Lloyd and Donesia Glass, both of Decatur, “are not currently attending classes” after the Sept. 14 attack, DeKalb County schools spokesman Andre Riley told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution in an email.
According to arrest warrants, Lloyd fought a school bus driver before stabbing her with a steak knife in the arm and hand. Glass’ only role in the assault was handing Lloyd back the knife after she threw it, records show.
The injured driver was seated behind the primary bus driver and served as a monitor at the time of the attack, Riley said.
“The incident that involves students from McNair High School, as well as staff from our transportation department, is appalling on all accounts,” district officials said in a statement. “Under no circumstances is an assault on our staff or students acceptable.”
DeKalb schools officials have not said what led to the attack, but emphasized employees involved in the attack would be “investigated thoroughly.”
The AJC has requested a copy of the incident report from the school district.
Glass and Lloyd both face charges of aggravated assault and carrying a weapon on school property. They are out of jail on bond.
Nissan is recalling more than 215,000 vehicles because a faulty brake pump could cause a fire and is recommending owners park affected vehicles outside and away from other vehicles.
On impacted vehicles, the Anti-Lock Brake actuator pump leaks fluid onto a circuit board. The indicator light on the instrument panel will remain on for 10 seconds after the engine is started.
The recall includes 2015-2017 Murano, 2016 and 2017 Maxima, 2017-2018 Pathfinder and 2017 Infiniti QX60 models, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
The company believes more than half of the vehicles have the problem, The Associated Press reported.
Dealers will inspect the vehicles starting Oct. 15 and replace the part, if necessary.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
A Florida Uber driver allegedly refused to let her fare out of the car Wednesday, forcing the female passenger to jump from the window of the moving vehicle, police said.
Destiny Racquel Green, 30, is charged with kidnapping to commit or facilitate a felony and false imprisonment. Leon County Jail records showed Green remained in jail Friday afternoon.
Tallahassee police officers were called early Wednesday morning to a Walgreens parking lot following a 911 call in which the victim -- who identified herself on social media as Brooke Adkins, 19, a college student from St. Petersburg -- could be heard screaming for help in the background, according to WTXL in Midway. When the officers arrived, they found Adkins with torn jeans, soaked through with blood, and scrapes on her hands.
Adkins told officers she had been hanging out with friends at a Tallahassee club when she called for an Uber to take her home, the news station reported. She showed officers the app on her cellphone, which showed Green as the driver assigned to her.
Police officials said that, on the way to Adkins’ home, Adkins asked Green to instead drop her off at The Edge, an apartment complex near Florida State University. Things started getting weird at that point, Adkins said in Twitter posts.
“I was already at my destination and she asked me if I could ride around more with her,” Adkins wrote. “I told her she could take me around the block but to keep the meter on (just in case), and after that she would not let me get out of the car.”
Adkins, who was seated in the back seat of the vehicle, wrote that the child lock was on the doors of Green’s car.
As the two women drove around, Green was pulled over near Florida State University by a state trooper. WTXL reported that, during the stop, Green asked Adkins to put her hands on the center console and hold it down.
Adkins found the request odd, but did as Green asked.
The Tampa Bay Times reported that Green told her passenger she was taking her to the hospital. Adkins told her she did not need to go to a hospital, but Green refused to stop.
“Adkins said she asked Green to let her out of the vehicle at almost every stoplight, and Green continuously said ‘no’ and nothing else,” police officials said, according to the Times.
Adkins called 911.
About 25 minutes after Green passed Adkins’ drop-off spot, Adkins made her move. She rolled down the window, holding the button down so Green couldn’t roll it back up, and jumped, police said.
Investigators caught up with Green at her home later that day, WTXL reported. Before they could say anything, Green told them she’d quit working for Uber because of “the girl” to whom she had given a ride, the news station said.
Green said Adkins had wanted to go to the hospital, but did not say why, police said. She told them Adkins jumped from the car on the way to Capital Regional Medical Center, WTXL reported.
Investigators wrote in police reports that Green made several comments that were non sequiturs and seemed paranoid during questioning, the news station said.
An Uber spokesperson told BuzzFeed News that what Adkins reported to police is “troubling.”
“We have removed the driver from the app and stand ready to support the police investigation,” the spokesperson said.
Adkins took to social media Wednesday to warn other young women of the dangers surrounding them. The initial tweet, which included photos of her torn jeans and battered legs, has since been retweeted more than 91,000 times.
“Tonight, I realized that being kidnapped from an Uber driver is 100 (percent) real,” Adkins wrote. “I’m so thankful that I got out OK, but jumping out a moving car window and running for help has to be the scariest thing I’ve ever gone thru (sic).”
She wrote that she wanted girls to be aware and to always remain safe.
“Kidnapping has been happening more recently than ever and I want to raise awareness that everyone just needs to be safe and aware of your surroundings, and also who you are with,” Adkins wrote.
The Atlanta-based Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Thursday revealed that the country’s burden of Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias will double by the year 2060.
In 2014, 5 million Americans — or 1.6 percent of the population — felt the burden of the diseases. The figure is expected to grow to 13.9 million, equating to nearly 3.3 percent of the projected population in 2060.
The estimates are part of the agency’s recent study published in the journal Alzheimer’s & Dementia: The Journal of the Alzheimer’s Association. Researchers examined data from the U.S. Census and the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services for the projections.
Alzheimer’s disease is the sixth leading cause of death in the United States. In fact, the death rate from the disease has risen by 55 percent in recent decades, according to the CDC. And in Georgia, the number of deaths from Alzheimer's has increased by 201 percent since 2000, according to Georgia Health News.
The CDC’s recent research, the first to factor in race and ethnicity in its forecast, suggests Hispanic Americans will face the largest projected increase, largely due to population growth.
Non-Hispanic whites are still expected to have the largest total number of Alzheimer’s cases.
“This study shows that as the U.S. population increases, the number of people affected by Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias will rise, especially among minority populations,” CDC Director Robert R. Redfield said in the news release. “Early diagnosis is key to helping people and their families cope with loss of memory, navigate the health care system, and plan for their care in the future.”
According to the CDC, “the increases are a result of fewer people dying from other chronic diseases and surviving into older adulthood when the risk for Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias increases.” The population of the United States is also projected to grow by about 100 million by 2060.
Five people, including three infants between the ages of 3 days and 1 month, were in critical condition Friday after they were stabbed at an unlicensed daycare center in New York City, according to police and reports.
Authorities said a 52-year-old woman, identified as a suspect in the case, was found at the scene with a self-inflicted slash to her wrist. Police were called to the daycare center in Queens around 3:40 a.m., WPIX reported.
Update 3:55 p.m. EDT Sept. 21: The person suspected in Friday’s early morning stabbing at a New York City daycare was identified as an employee of the facility, The New York Times reported. Her name has not been released.
Monica Mahaffey, a spokeswoman for the New York State Office of Children and Family Services, told the Times that the facility where the stabbing occurred was not a state regulated child care program. Such programs are barred from caring for infants under the age of six weeks without additional requirements, according to the newspaper.
WABC named the center as Mei Xin Care Incorporated.
Neighbors told the Times that they often saw pregnant Chinese women at the facility, prompting suspicions that the center “was also operating as a birthing hotel for Chinese visitors who want to secure American citizenship for their children.”
The newspaper noted that some officials suggested the center might actually be frequented by Chinese women who lacked strong family support in the U.S.
Update 10:35 a.m. EDT Sept. 21: Police said the five people injured early Friday included two adults, a man and a woman, and three infants between the ages of 3 days and 1 month.
NYPD Assistant Chief Juanita Holmes said the victims suffered stab wounds. The injured woman was found with multiple wounds to her torso while the man had a stab wound on his leg, she said.
Police did not release the name of the woman suspected of carrying out the attack, who was identified only as a 52-year-old woman.
Holmes said the victims were in critical but stable condition after the incident.
Original report: A 52-year-old woman with apparent self-inflicted knife wounds was taken into custody, WPIX reported.
The ages of the infants, two girls and a boy, were unknown, WNBC reported, but one girl was in serious condition, police said. Two other people, a man and a woman, also were stabbed. None of the injuries were considered life-threatening, the television station reported.
The injured man was stabbed in the leg and is the father to one of the children at the daycare center, although police did not say if his child was one of those stabbed, WNBC reported. The woman injured was a daycare worker, police said.
Take www.mymagic949.com everywhere you go! Download your app below from the Google Play Store or Apple App Store:
Enable our Skill today to listen live at home on your Alexa Devices!