Now Playing
My Magic 94.9
Last Song Played
Tampa Bay's Best Music
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
My Magic 94.9
Last Song Played
Tampa Bay's Best Music

national govt & politics

200 items
Results 21 - 30 of 200 < previous next >

Trump will skip White House Correspondents' Dinner again

President Donald Trump, a frequent critic of the news media, plans to skip the White House Correspondents’ Dinner for a second year in a row.

>> Read more trending news

“The White House has informed us that the president does not plan to participate in this year’s dinner but that he will actively encourage members of the executive branch to attend and join us as celebrate the First Amendment,” Margaret Talev, president of the White House Correspondents’ Association, said Friday in a statement.

White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders will attend the April 28 dinner to represent the administration at the head table, Talev said.

In an interview that aired Friday on WABC Radio's "Bernie and Sid" radio show, Trump said he was unlikely to attend the annual dinner, calling the press “so bad” and “so fake.”

“I want to get it straightened out with the press before I do it,” he said.

Trump also skipped the dinner last year, opting instead to hold a rally in Pennsylvania.

>> Related: Trump tweets he won't attend White House correspondents' dinner

The last president to skip the event was Ronald Reagan, who missed the dinner in 1981 after being shot in an assassination attempt days earlier. Still, Reagan called into the event.

President Richard Nixon also skipped the dinner twice.

The annual dinner, a fundraiser for college scholarships and a venue for reporting awards, mixes politicians, journalists and celebrities and is typically attended by the president and first lady. Remarks by a comedian, often roasting the president, and a humorous address by the president himself, often roasting the press and political opponents, have highlighted the event.

Officials with the White House Correspondents’ Association announced in February that comedian Michelle Wolf will host this year’s dinner.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Trump says he didn't know about Stormy Daniels payment

President Donald Trump on Thursday denied that he knew his attorney paid adult film star Stormy Daniels $130,000 in the run-up to the 2016 presidential election in exchange for her silence about an alleged sexual encounter with Trump years earlier.

>> Read more trending news

The payment, from Trump attorney Michael Cohen, was negotiated in October 2016 in exchange for Daniels signing a nondisclosure agreement that barred her from talking about the alleged encounter, The Wall Street Journal reported in January.

Since the report surfaced, Trump has avoided answering questions about Daniels or Cohen’s payment. He broke his silence Thursday, telling reporters on Air Force One that he did not know about the exchange.

>> Related: Stormy Daniels' lawyer: Judge denies motion to depose Trump, Cohen

Politico reported that when asked why Cohen would have made the payment, Trump said, “You’ll have to ask Michael Cohen. Michael is my attorney. You’ll have to ask Michael.”

He said he didn’t know where the money had come from. Cohen has said that he paid out of his pocket and that neither the Trump Organization nor the Trump campaign was a party to the transaction.

>> Related: Porn star Stormy Daniels sues Trump attorney Michael Cohen for defamation

Daniels’ attorney, Michael Avenatti, said Trump’s comments only served to bolster his client’s case. Daniels filed suit against Trump last month in an effort to break the nondisclosure agreement, claiming the document was invalid because it was never signed by Trump.

“The strength of our case just went up exponentially,” Avenatti wrote on Twitter Thursday after Trump’s comments surfaced. “You can’t have an agreement when one party claims to know nothing about it.”

Daniels, whose real name is Stephanie Clifford, has offered to return the $130,000 as she tries to “set the record straight.” She’s said she had sex with Trump once in 2006, a few months after the birth of his youngest son, and their relationship continued for about a year. Trump married his current wife, Melania, in 2005, and their son, Barron, was born in 2006.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Mueller investigation: Former lawyer sentenced to 30 days for lying to FBI

A judge handed down a 30-day sentence Tuesday for a former attorney who earlier this year pleaded guilty to lying to FBI officials investigating Russian meddling in the 2016 presidential election and its possible ties to President Donald Trump’s campaign.

>> More on Robert Mueller's investigation 

>> READ MORE: Top Trump lawyer floated idea of pardoning Flynn, Manafort: reportRussia investigation: Manafort pleads not guilty, September trial date setMueller investigation: Lawyer pleads guilty to lying to investigators in Russia probeMueller indicts 13 Russians, 3 Russian entities in election meddling probeMORE

Frank Stallone apologizes to Parkland shooting survivor David Hogg for profane Twitter rant

Actor and musician Frank Stallone took to Twitter on Sunday to apologize for an expletive-filled rant mocking David Hogg, a gun control activist and survivor of the deadly school shooting in Parkland, Florida.

>> PREVIOUS STORY: Frank Stallone slams Parkland shooting survivor David Hogg in expletive-laden tweet

"To everyone and to David Hogg especially," Stallone began. "I want to deeply apologize for my irresponsible words. I would never in a million years wish or promote violence to anyone anywhere on this planet. After what these kids went through I'm deeply ashamed. Please accept my apology. Frank."

>> See the tweet here

The apology came one day after Stallone, the younger brother of actor Sylvester Stallone, slammed Hogg in a profane tweet.

>> Laura Ingraham takes week off from show amid David Hogg-led ad boycott

"This David Hogg [expletive] is getting a little big for his britches," Stallone wrote Saturday in the now-deleted tweet, according to Newsweek. "I'm sure someone from his age group is dying to sucker punch this rich little [expletive]. Watch him run home like the coward he is. He's the worst rep for today's youth headline grabbing punk."

>> Ted Nugent says Parkland shooting survivors attacking NRA 'have no soul'

Hogg recently made news after organizing an advertiser boycott against conservative TV host Laura Ingraham when she mocked him over his college rejections.

>> NRA donations triple in February, soaring after Parkland school shooting

Stallone's tweet quickly sparked backlash as celebrities and other social media users defended Hogg while taking jabs at Stallone's career.

Stallone made his Twitter account private after the backlash.

>> March for Our Lives: Emma Gonzalez stands in silence for Parkland victims, stuns crowd

"Hi I just made my account private so I don't have to listen to a bunch of computer hero's [sic] telling me how tough they [are] and I'm not," Stallone explained in a tweet Saturday afternoon. "In this country you can choose your company."

>> See the tweet here

>> Read more trending news 

His Twitter account was made public again Sunday.

Frank Stallone slams Parkland shooting survivor David Hogg in expletive-laden tweet

Actor and musician Frank Stallone is facing backlash after he reportedly slammed David Hogg, a gun control activist and survivor of the deadly school shooting in Parkland, Florida.

>> UPDATE: Frank Stallone apologizes to Parkland shooting survivor David Hogg for profane Twitter rant

>> Laura Ingraham takes week off from show amid David Hogg-led ad boycott

"This David Hogg [expletive] is getting a little big for his britches," Stallone wrote Saturday in a now-deleted tweet, according to Newsweek. "I'm sure someone from his age group is dying to sucker punch this rich little [expletive]. Watch him run home like the coward he is. He's the worst rep for today's youth headline grabbing punk."

>> NRA donations triple in February, soaring after Parkland school shooting

Hogg recently made news after organizing an advertiser boycott against conservative TV host Laura Ingraham when she mocked him over his college rejections.

>> Ted Nugent says Parkland shooting survivors attacking NRA 'have no soul'

The tweet by Stallone, who is Sylvester Stallone's younger brother, quickly sparked backlash. Here's what people were saying:

>> Read more trending news 

Stallone has since made his Twitter account private.

Read more here.

Laura Ingraham takes week off from Fox News show after David Hogg-led ad boycott

Fox News host Laura Ingraham is taking a week off from her Fox News show, "The Ingraham Angle," amid an advertiser boycott led by David Hogg, a survivor of the deadly Parkland, Florida, school shooting.

>> Advertisers abandon Laura Ingraham’s Fox show after she mocks Parkland survivor

"A blessed Good Friday and Passover to all of you," she said Friday on her show. "I'll be off next week for Easter break with my kids, but fear not: We've got a great lineup of guest hosts to fill in for me."

>> See the clip here

According to the New York Times, Fox News said Ingraham's time off is for a "preplanned" family vacation.

>> Ted Nugent says Parkland shooting survivors attacking NRA 'have no soul'

The news came after at least 11 advertisers announced they would no longer advertise on Ingraham's show following backlash over a tweet she posted mocking Hogg's college rejections.

>> March for Our Lives: Emma Gonzalez stands in silence for Parkland victims, stuns crowd

"David Hogg Rejected By Four Colleges To Which He Applied and whines about it," she wrote, adding that he was "dinged by UCLA with a 4.1 GPA ... totally predictable given acceptance rates."

>> NRA donations triple in February, soaring after Parkland school shooting

Hogg responded by asking Ingraham who her biggest advertisers are and organized a boycott. Wayfair, Nestle, Hulu, TripAdvisor and other companies soon pulled their ads from the show.

>> School district arms students, teachers with rocks in case of school shooting

Ingraham issued an apology Thursday, saying she was sorry "for any upset or hurt my tweet caused [Hogg] or any of the brave victims of Parkland."

Hogg replied that he would accept Ingraham's apology "only if you denounce the way your network has treated my friends and I in this fight," adding, "It's time to love thy neighbor, not mudsling at children."

>> Read more trending news 

After learning of Ingraham's weeklong break, Hogg tweeted: "Have some healthy reflections this Holy Week."

Ted Nugent says Parkland shooting survivors attacking NRA 'have no soul'

Musician Ted Nugent is facing backlash after he reportedly said survivors of the deadly Parkland, Florida, school shooting who are pushing for tougher gun laws "have no soul."

>> March for Our Lives: Emma Gonzalez stands in silence for Parkland victims, stuns crowd

According to The Associated Press, Nugent, a National Rifle Association board member, called the teens who have attacked the NRA "mushy brained children" Friday on "The Joe Pags Show."

>> NRA donations triple in February, soaring after Parkland school shooting

“The dumbing down of America is manifested in the culture deprivation of our academia that have taught these kids the lies, media that have prodded and encouraged and provided these kids lies," Nugent said. "I really feel sorry for them because it’s not only ignorant and dangerously stupid, but it’s soulless. To attack the good, law-abiding families of America when well-known, predictable murderers commit these horrors is deep in the category of soulless. These poor children, I’m afraid to say this and it hurts me to say this, but the evidence is irrefutable: They have no soul."

>> Who are the Top 10 recipients of NRA money?

Responding to a video that showed Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School senior Emma Gonzalez criticizing politicians for taking "blood money" donations from the NRA, Nugent added:

>> Read more trending news 

"The level of ignorance goes beyond stupidity. Again, the National Rifle Association are a bunch of American families who have a voice to stand up for our God-given, Constitutionally-guaranteed right to keep and bear arms. We have no blood on our hands. No NRA member has ever been involved in any mass shootings at all; in fact, the National Rifle Association is the lone organization that has taught firearm safety in schools, and for law enforcement, and for military, and for children's organizations and family organizations around the country for 100 years. So once again, this poor, pathetic individual is a liar."

>> School district arms students, teachers with rocks in case of school shooting

Stoneman Douglas students and their supporters flocked to Twitter to slam Nugent's comments:

Read more here.

Trump's Holy Saturday begins with name-calling, golf

President Donald Trump began his morning on Holy Saturday with tweets blasting California Gov. Jerry Brown and Amazon before heading to the golf course.

>> Read more trending news

The president, who is spending the Easter weekend at his Mar-a-Lago residence in Palm Beach, Florida, called Brown “Moonbeam.”

He also slammed the U.S. Post Office and Amazon over postage rates, tweeting that Amazon “must pay real costs (and taxes) now.”

Trump’s tweets began at 8:45 a.m. Within 15 minutes, the president left Mar-a-Lago and headed to Trump International Golf Club, his private course in West Palm Beach.

13-year-old boy running for governor of Vermont

The state that produced the oldest man ever to run for president now has the youngest person ever to run for governor.

>> Read more trending news

Bernie Sanders turned 75 two months before the 2016 presidential election. Ethan Sonneborn is 13 and an eighth-grader who is running for governor.

Now.

There is no minimum age to run for governor in Vermont, so Sonenborn is officially the youngest candidate for that office in state history, CNN reported.

Sonneborn is running as a Democrat and will face two other candidates in the party’s primary election in August. The winner will face incumbent Gov. Phil Scott, 59, a Republican.

The teen’s platform will focus on stricter gun control legislation an issue he has stressed since announcing his candidacy in 2017, CNN reported.

"I'll admit when I first heard about a 13-year-old running, I thought, 'Is this some kid from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, spoiled?' But that's not the case," Vermont Democratic Party Executive Director Conor Casey told CNN. "Ethan really did embrace the gun issue early on. He's representing younger people and he's been a good voice for them."

Sonneborn admitted that hunting is an important part of life in New England.

"It's a culture that I respect," he said. "But if it's making the decision between letting my friends have a good time at a firing range and them possibly being involved in a school shooting, I'm choosing legislation to protect them from that school shooting."

Sonneborn said he has met Scott, who told him his gubernatorial bid is "very cool," CNN reported.

200 items
Results 21 - 30 of 200 < previous next >